Thursday, October 7, 2010
"Doing Nothing"
We had an assignment where we had to pick a place that was busy to be at, and stand there for 10 minutes straight doing absolutely nothing. We couldn't pretend we were waiting for someone to meet up with. We couldn't examine other people. We just had to do literally NOTHING. To me this assignment was pretty hard. I was with my mom and little sister at Hawthorn mall, and then I told them about what we all had to do, and they were like, "What kind of homework is that?" I was like, "I don't know... lol. I just have to do it." So that was when I told them to go elsewhere in the mall. And I was standing by the food court and the store Hot Topic just standing by the ledge doing nothing... I had alot of stares from people. This made me feel uncomfortable, because you'd get looks from people like "What is she doing?" or "That girl seems weird." At first, I thought that this assignment would be pretty easy just to do nothing, but as you experience it, it's actually harder than it seems. That is because us Americans are so used to doing something 24:7. Whether its listening to your teacher from english class, or texting one of your good friends, or walking from one class to another, or sleeping....we are all always doing something no matter what. This is what made the assignment very interesting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I experienced a lot of looks from people too. I agree with what you said about it being so unusual for people to do nothing. It's unheard of so people kind of freak out when they come across it.
ReplyDeleteI agree it was such an odd assignment but it really did open my eyes to things i hadn't noticed before
ReplyDeleteI also thought the assignment would be pretty easy but it was actually a little harder than I thought because I didn't know where it was appropriate to not be doing anything- guess we have the idea to always be constantly doing something imprinted in our minds. It was nice though just to not be doing anything for a change and relaxing!
ReplyDelete