Thursday, December 9, 2010

Why Is There Racism?

Wouldn't it be nice to not have a thing called race? And just to be called "people"? Our society tends to classify people of different races before knowing what their true race is. For example, I may walk into the grocery store with my mom, and I'll see someone with dark colored skin. I would probably think in my mind that the person I saw would be black, but what if they were really Latino? We don't know anything. We generally tend to judge someone by their outside appearance.

5 comments:

  1. People do tend to make assupmtions about a person's race, but they're not always correct. It's like the saying 'Don't judge a book by its cover.' Parents teach that to their children, but it's important for them to take their own advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, people do make judgments about a persons race based on the way they look. People need to stop judging based on appearance because most of the time people will probably be wrong on who is what race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We definitely do tend to judge people by what they look like from the outside. When you see their appearance, you instantly associate what you know about that particular race with that person, even if he or she might not be that way at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your first two sentences because that's exactly what I've been trying to say but couldn't get the right words to say it. Things would be so different because we wouldn't be stereotyping if we just went with people are "people" not "black" or "white".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that people judge way to much on race. If people are less focused on that and more focused on personal qualities, the world would be a better place. Unfortunately, I think that most people will always judge

    ReplyDelete